Nowadays, we all need antivirus programs on our computers for protection against a barrage of malicious software. Without one, you run a high risk of infecting your devices with malware, or even worse, ransomware that can steal your bank account credentials and encrypt your files.
Windows devices now come with a free built-in antivirus solution for these reasons alone. Even then, these solutions aren’t enough as there are many more threats online that an antivirus can’t protect you against.
You need a complete security suite to cover all your bases, which mostly include antivirus, firewall, spam protection, parental controls, and sometimes a VPN too. However, if you have a laptop, chances are it has minimal technical specifications. Accordingly, they require a security solution that doesn’t slow down performance.
Below are some of the best security suites for laptops.
Kaspersky Total Security
Kaspersky is one of the most established antivirus software solutions in the market, trusted by both enterprises and private customers. The provider has optimized its software to run efficiently on laptops.
The main features:
- An unparalleled malware detection engine that always protects you from malware
- Realtime protection against ransomware with a dedicated portal
- Password Manager and a virtual keyboard for securely logging in to your bank account and other services
- Kaspersky’s secure browser included
- Anti-theft protection for laptops
- Webcam protection
- VPN with limited bandwidth for use in public networks with the option to buy unlimited data
- Cloud backup and encryption for your files and a shredder tool
- Simple UI for users with many options for advanced users too
- Apps for PC, Mac, and mobile devices
Bitdefender Total Security
Bitdefender is one of the top security suites with a top-notch antivirus and threat detection software solution. Its application runs on very few resources, making it a perfect candidate for laptops and netbooks.
- A robust threat detection system with the lowest numbers of false detections
- Realtime virus and ransomware protection with a minimal performance hit
- Password manager with unlimited storage, unlike Kaspersky
- Dedicated browser for secure online banking
- Anti-theft protection for laptops and portable devices
- Game mode and battery mode
- Firewall and web security with spam, phishing, and fraud protection and anti tracker extension
- Bitdefender VPN with traffic encryption up to 200 MB daily
- File encryption and shredder support
- Dedicated rootkit detection and removal tool
- Cross-platform apps for Windows, Mac, and mobile devices
Norton 360 Deluxe
Norton used to be the default choice for antivirus protection, but it was well known to be a resource hog so it wasn’t very feasible for laptops. Fortunately, that’s no longer the case given it has received some much-needed improvements and added some outstanding features.
- Norton’s threat detection is on par with its competition
- It offers real-time anti-spyware, antivirus, malware, and ransomware protection with fast scan times
- Password manager for generating complex unique passwords without remembering them
- Bundled with unlimited VPN that can be used with up to 5 devices
- Dark web monitoring support that scans for your email and password dumps on the deep web
- Cloud backup solution with 50 GB storage
Avast Ultimate bundles Avast Premium Security along with many other of the company’s utilities. It’s a bargain considering the price and its long history in the industry. It downloads and installs very quickly on a laptop with minimum hardware usage.
- An efficient engine that gets constant updates
- Low-performance overhead while offering a real-time threat and ransomware protection
- A completely customizable installer that lets you choose the features you need
- Ransomware Shield lets you protect files and folders from ransomware
- Includes Secure Browser with in-built ad-blocking and anti-phishing protection
- Avast SecureLine VPN that even works with your smart Android TV
- Sleek, easy-to-use, and clean user interface
- Password Manager that can import your saved passwords from Chrome and Firefox
McAfee Total Protection Multi-Device
McAfee suite is another strong choice for laptop users as it has a fast and slick interface. It’s a no-frills and tailored approach to threat protection, making it a cheaper alternative compared to other antivirus products.
- Improved malware and threat detection.
- Realtime protection covering malware, ransomware, and online threats.
- Includes a robust password manager that’s considered one of the best.
- Storage encryption support.
- Securely deletes files with McAfee Shredder.
- Its strongest point is that it secures up to 5 devices with just one cheap subscription.
- Compatible with Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- McAfee’s award-winning Identity Theft Protection is included with the license that monitors your digital presence and identity, and reports when your email, SSN, and other potentially private information is abused.
There are seemingly endless ransomware, malware, and other threats online. The bad guys won’t ever stop. Therefore it’s an absolute necessity to protect your devices against these threats.
Buying a security suite might feel overwhelming but it’s the best bet you have when it comes to protection. Choosing the best product for yourself boils down to your needs and budget, but overall, laptop protection should be all-inclusive, lightweight, and effective for high-performance laptop usage.