Hair transplant in Pune is done to increase the volume of your hair in the area that might be experiencing thinning or balding. It is done by taking hair from thicker areas of hair on the scalp or other parts of the body and grafting it on the balding section.
Hair transplant is said to have a higher success rate as compared to other methods of hair restoration. But they do not always work for everyone. Just like regular hair, the transplanted hair will get thinner over time. On the other hand, plasma therapy is said to help increase the chances of hair growth.
Hair transplants may not work for the people who have widespread thinning or baldness, hair loss due to medications or chemotherapy, or scalp alterations due to scars or injuries.
How does it work?
Hair transplant as the name suggests takes the hair you already have and transfers it to the area where you are experiencing balding or thinning. It is usually taken from the back of your head or even other parts of the body.
Now there are two methods through which the transplant takes place; FUT Follicular unit transplantation or FUE Follicular Unit Extraction. Let us look at them in detail;
1. Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Also known as follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS), follicular unit transplantation involves the following steps;
- The surgeon removes a piece of the scalp (typically from the back of your head). The strip size might be 6 to 10 inches long.
- The area where the scalp was removed is closed with stitches.
- The removed strip is further split into smaller fragments of the scalp called grafts. The fragment can be as many as 2000 nos. Many of these fragments only have one hair. The number of grafts can depend upon the type of hair, size of transplant site, quality of hair, the thickness of hair, and hair color.
- The surgeon makes holes in the scalp where the hair needs to be transplanted using a needle or a blade.
- The surgeon then inserts the small fragments of hair removed from the scalp into these holes. This step is called grafting
- Then the site from where the hair was removed is covered with bandages or gauze.
2. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
Follicular Unit Extraction involves the following steps;
- The surgeon shaves the back of the head
- The surgeon removes individual follicles of the hair out of the scalp.
- The surgeon proceeds to make holes in your scalp and grafts hair follicles in the holes of the head
- Then the surgeon covers the surgical site with bandages or gauze
Both of these procedures may take from several hours up to several days to complete. After the surgery is complete, the surgeon removes any bandages or gauge from your head. The area might experience swelling, pain, or soreness.
Medications such as pain relievers, antibiotics (to help reduce infections), anti-inflammatories (to reduce swelling), or hair growth stimulating medications are prescribed.
Based on your health, the doctor will prescribe some tips for you to follow;
- Do not wash your hair until a few days after surgery
- Use only mild shampoos
- You should return to work only after three days
- Do not brush or comb the hair for about 3 weeks
- Do not wear anything above your head like hats, pullover shirts, scarfs, etc
- Do not exercise for the week
- Do not worry if the hair fall out
Just like any other procedure, though lesser, hair transplant surgery does have side effects. The side effects include;
- Cuts or pus secretion around the surgical sites
- Scalp pain
- Inflammation of the hair follicles
- Losing sensation especially around the surgical sites
- Areas of the hair that do not match the surrounding hair or are thinner than the surrounding area
- Balding or thinning of the portion from where the hair was removed is also thinning or balding
When you undergo a hair transplant in Pune make sure you look for a good surgeon. It is a long and tiring procedure that requires a lot of aftercare and medications. Just like other procedures it has its own side effects and benefits. Though lesser in number, there exist some serious skin side effects.
The thing here to remember is that hair transplant is not covered by any insurance as it is a cosmetic treatment. But if done properly, they can prove beneficial and give the best results to the patients. It is one of the most popular and sought treatment in the world.