As opposed to stand-alone options like SIEM or EDR solutions, XDR takes a more proactive approach to threat detection. The efficacy of XDR solutions lies in their automatic correlation of telemetry across the network, as opposed to merely focusing on detecting threats at the endpoints. This telemetry allows for a greater view of all threats in the environment and allows for improved administration and management of all your security efforts.
Some of the most intelligent ways that your security engineers can benefit from XDR include:
- Detecting Threats – modern cyber-attacks have come a long way from their humble beginnings. Now it is no longer necessary for them to pass infected files to your devices. Today’s businesses must be on the lookout for SQL injections, DNS attacks, URL interpretations, and many more. XDR provides this type of widespread detection of all threats across the networks so that appropriate actions can be taken.
- Tracking Threats Across Devices and Sources – XDR offers a more holistic approach to cyber security. It is not concerned with simply detecting a single type of action at a single location, like monitoring attacks at endpoints or certain user activities. Instead, XDR is designed to detect threats from across the network based on all kinds of user activities.
- Collecting Data from Multiple Sources – unlike other traditional cyber security solutions, XDR has the advantage of going beyond simply monitoring traffic and endpoints. XDR collects data from across the networks and detects trends so that automatic correlations can be made that determine the presence of abnormal activities taking place in your network. this means that your XDR will gradually become increasingly effective in avoiding threats to your systems.
- Quicker and Custom Alerting to Unknown Threats – even though XDR will typically react to threats automatically, you can customize exactly what sort of information and actions will be presented to your team in any specific event.
Simply put, XDR goes far beyond simply monitoring your network for malicious activity and taking appropriate action. XDR delivers a solution that will centralize the telemetry of your entire organization. This will give you and your team the tools you need to detect threats in the future and more effectively protect against them.
Who Needs XDR?
Any company that is looking to improve security across their networks will create a safe environment over which sensitive data and activities can take place and should consider the advantages of XDR security solutions. This would include any company that is holding private or sensitive data, companies that keep proprietary information on files, and those companies that operate within certain regulated industries.
But the truth is a security solution as robust as XDR may be overkill for some organizations. Most organizations that are using their networks for communications or inventory management will not need to invest in such a complex security measure due to their low-risk profile.
On the other hand, when a company has the potential to fall victim to cyberattacks that result in their customer’s sensitive data being accessed, they will often be unable to recover the information and suffer considerable financial loss and the loss of their reputation. Depending on the risk profile of the company in question, a stalwart security option such as XDR may be in order.
What are the Benefits of XDR?
XDR offers a variety of benefits to the modern business looking to improve its strength against cyber attacks. Every organization faces unique security challenges and requires a specific sport of action to be taken in each circumstance.
Here are some of the most important advantages you can find from XDR as the bulwark against the threat of cyber-attacks.
- Immediate Protection Attacks – as soon as you have set up your XDR security you will begin benefitting from its advanced capabilities to monitor and detect threats. Out of the box, your XDR system will be able to detect threats and be on the lookout for new and unexpected threats
- Reduced Alert Fatigue for Your Security Team – XDR can detect and respond to threats along the network with no need for human interference in most situations. This will mean that there will be far fewer threats to your networks that will have to be handled by your network operations teams. This can take a good deal of strain from your teams and allow them to be more effective in their roles.
- Continuous Improvement – since XDR is fitted with AI technology, it will be constantly learning and adapting from the data it is collecting across its networks. This means that the protection for your systems will be evolving and gradually get more efficient as time goes by.
- Rapid Restoration of Functionality After Compromise – if your networks have been compromised, XDR can quickly isolate the issue and help to clear it of many other problems. This not only minimizes downtime but minimizes the threat of infection across the network.
- Effective Security Cloud Environments – most companies today are using a combination of local and cloud-based networks. XDR can track the information across all networks and ensure the safety of your systems and networks.